People usually enjoy on their decks doing things which could unwind them. Decks are for enjoying the outdoors, for entertaining friends and family, and for escaping everyday life for a few hours at a time. Unfortunately, it can’t provide protection from bad weather and it can damper on that enjoyment. But how can you turn your deck into a covered one to continue your family’s enjoyment? Building a simple roof structure over the deck itself can increase greatly the days that you have to enjoy it. This article outlines the steps to take in order to build a simple, yet effective roof over your existing deck.
Simple roofs can serve well to reduce direct sunlight that will create shade and reduce temperature for a few degrees. It will let your family enjoy even when the sun is up. Since the roofs don’t need to support loads, this can be constructed using light weight materials like ply woods. In addition, even tent materials can be used to cover the deck.
To cover your deck with a roof, do the following:
• The first thing you have to do is to build the frame of the roof on the ground. You have to frame up a box the size of the outer dimensions of your deck using 2 by 4 inch lumber.
• Run joists connecting the front of your roof with the rear every two feet along the length of your roof.
• Next thing to do is to tie your existing deck posts into the roof by extending your corner posts with the 4 by 4 lumber.
• Make the front of the roof the height of the house roof with the rear sloping at a rate of six inches over two feet.
• Lift the box frame you built in the first step onto the four corner posts then attach them using the lag bolts.
• Now, install the plywood on top of the frame to provide a flat surface on which to nail your tin when the box frame is secured. It is advisable to use materials that will protect your family not only from sunlight, but also from rain.
Finally, install tar paper on the plywood sub-roofing and then follow-up by laying down the tin roofing. Tie the tin roof into your existing roof using metal flashing available at any home supplies store to ensure a waterproof seal at the junction of house roof to deck roof. You can now enjoy outdoor activities even bad weather comes because you have just covered your deck with a roof.