• Home
  • How to Install an Air Conditioner?

How to Install an Air Conditioner?


Summer is great… with lots of sunshine and clear sky days to look forward to. What’s not so great about it though is the extreme heat you experience round the clock. According to movie flicks, extreme heat can drive a man into hallucination. In reality, it can drive any man into profuse sweating and gigantic headache. As much as heaters can be found in countries with mild to extreme winters, air conditioners are very popular in tropical areas and places with extreme summer heat. During summers, you’ll find malls and various shops turning on the cold blast to keep off the heat from outside. In some instances, people just tend to stay indoors to avoid excessive heat from the sun. These days, air conditioners are now becoming more and more a necessity rather than a luxury.

Modern air conditioner

If you don’t have an AC yet, what are the facts that you should know? It is very important that you choose the right size air conditioner to cool the room temperature. An oversized or undersized unit may not effectively work for you since it could leave you either feeling quite damp or still too hot. An effective rule of thumb is to determine the actual cooling capacity of the unit measured in BTU rating and taking into consideration the room size, number of windows and number of occupants in the room. Every John and Jane can learn on how to install an air conditioner. Mounting kits for the AC are included in most models including easy-to-follow instructions in installation. The following is just a quick guide:

• Choose the air conditioner that fits the requirements of your room by measuring the room size and size of AC unit you will need. You may want to check also the electrical requirements, voltage and power supply in the room.

• Determine where you want the unit installed and check if the unit can fit the window opening or area designated for the AC. The dimensions should fit the perimeter of the body so you can slide the unit in. Often the front part is bigger than the body’s 2-dimensional measurements.

• Install the sill brackets that came with the unit following the instruction manual from the manufacturer. The brackets should hold the body of the AC firmly and securely, supporting the whole weight from outside of the room when you slide it in. It should hold 90% of the whole AC itself. With the remaining 10% fronting the room.

Installing an air conditioner

• Seal in the gaps between the AC and the opening by using a piece of foam or insulation sheet.

• Attach the drainage hose to the outside of the air conditioner. Depending on the model and size, the manufacturer usually includes this in the kit. The user’s manual should clearly indicate where to attach it. Some manufacturers provide side panels also to ensure airtight fit in the window or your AC opening. Make sure this one fits also.

• Lastly, make sure the unit is properly installed and clear of any debris before you plug it in.

A must-remember is that all air conditioners operate more efficiently when the area to be cooled is well insulated. Close drapes and shades to keep off the heat from the sun or at least reduce it. Use a kitchen ventilator fan or exhaust fan when cooking to draw out heat generated from the stove. This way the cooling capacity of your air conditioner is maximized and optimized.

Also we present you here a list with links regarding air conditioner maintenance:

Tips about cleaning the air conditioner duct
Tips on how to save energy with the air conditioner
Tips about portable air conditioners

About the Author

Follow me

I love writing about interior design. I am in love with achieving harmony at home to improve the well-being of my family. I usually write for the "Visitacasas" blog, both in Spanish and English, and personally answer the questions about home decoration of all our users.

Leave a Reply

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}