The place before we face the world: the bathroom. The bathroom is one of the many places we don’t miss to enter in a day, may it be in the house, office, restaurant or any building we go. We always drop by the bathroom to check ourselves. And since we always want something exquisite and foxy in our sight (remodeling the bathroom), we wanted our bathrooms to have drama, intense, creativity and beauty. One way to adorn and enhance your rooms is through bathroom lighting.
Bathroom Lighting is one of the many approaches that you could experiment to add more glamour and beauty when improving your bathrooms. There are a lot of things to consider in lighting your bathrooms such as the amount of light for your bathrooms. The amount of light you need for your bathrooms actually depends on how big the room is.
Table of Contents
- Various types or classifications of bathroom light
- Types of bathroom light fixtures
- How to Update Your Home’s Lighting
- Different Types of Bathroom Light Fixtures Available Now
- 1. Organic Amber Art Glass 29 1/2″ Wide Bronze Bath Light
- 2. Monocle Wall Sconce
- 3. Boxie Ceiling Light
- 4. Amber Scroll 35 1/2″ Wide Chandelier
- 6. Tube Vanity Wall Sconce
- 7. Starburst LED Chandelier
- 8. Elf2 Bath Light
- 9. Integrity™ Lighted Mirror with Vive™ Technology
- 10. Swirl LED Pendant Light
This is simple, just get the room size and multiply it by 20 and you’ll get the exact amount of watts you need for the room. For example you have an area of 9square meters, you multiply 9sqm by 20 and you’ll get 180watts. 180 watts is the amount of light you need to light up your bathrooms. Now in installing the lights of your bathroom will depend on zonal concepts and IP (Ingress Protection). IP is followed by two numbers: the first number indicates the degree of protection against particles or solid subjects while the second number signifies the fittings resistance to water. Bear in mind that you have to apply a fitting with a correct rating according to where the fitting will be sited in the bathroom. Here are some of the different area zones:
Zone 1: A height of 2.25m above the floor, this area is above the bath or shower tray. Zone 1 requires a minimum of IP44 rating.
Zone 2: Zone 2 requires at least IP44. Zone 2 stretches from 0.6m outside the perimeter of the bath or shower tray and to a height of 2.25m from the floor. It’s also good to consider the area around the wash basin as zone 2.
Zone 3: This area is any area outside zone 1 and 2 and it has an IP rating of IP20. Take note if there are water jets used for cleaning purposes or a possibility of splashing waters in zone 1 and 2 you must use the rating of IP65.
Use frosted or white bulbs rather than clear bulbs to eliminate glare and incandescent lamps are good for bathrooms because of its warm daylight glow. Too much light can be binding and uncomfortable and too little light can make activities difficult. Have this guide lead you to elegant and enticing bathroom lighting.
Various types or classifications of bathroom light
Hardware flourishes like doorknobs, cabinet knobs, and faucets along with bathroom light fixtures can establish an entire mood or style in just a decorating accessory. The various types or classifications of modern bathroom light fixtures are especially designed to give you more focused task lighting at a mirror especially during at night so that it would give you a more subtle and calm appearance of yourself, diffuse lighting above a shower or bathtub, or overhead lighting for the entire room. They come in several distinct designs, with an almost infinite number of variations on finish, color, texture, glass, and size. One of the various types of bathroom light fixtures is the bar light installed by plumbers. Bar lights are a series of small trochees arched on a metal bar that attaches to the wall above your counter top and sink.
These versatile lights are either held upward or downward facing glass shades, so the lamp might overflow a mirrored cabinet or bounce light off the ceiling. Since the bar can arch up to two to six shades, they can extend or stretch over double-sinks as well, eliminating the need to have two separate fixtures. You can find the shades available in white, frosted, or translucent glass. The metal parts are available in shiny chrome, polished brass, nickel, or antique finishes.
Vanity globes is one variation of the bar lights. These round, white, glass bulbs entirely encase the light bulbs. You usually find them topping mirrors in celebrity dressing rooms. Again, this alternative gives a firm, extensive, diffuse light that is perfect for close-up primping. Globes would look best over a constrict sink, vanity table, or in a guest bathroom where their fun, Hollywood style would perfectly fit with the decor.
Types of bathroom light fixtures
Sconces are another one of the various types of bathroom light fixtures. The sconce category includes entities that hold only a single shade and a single light bulb. These are similar to wall lamps found in other areas or rooms of the house, such as the library or corridor, although corner bathroom lights tend to be less exuberant. A sconce can be situated in an area far from the sinks, such as in front of a closet or in a separate room for the chiffonier.
Finally, sunken lighting is a popular option for ceiling luminance. Since the bathroom receives so much moisture inside, it is uncommon to find crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceiling! A perfect alternative choice from among the many various types of bathroom light fixtures is to go with sunken lighting. These are simple, round lamps that lay outpouring with the ceiling, so they don’t have any dangling parts to collect condensation and dust made by the bathroom temperature. They may be more difficult to install however, since the wires are located inside the ceiling.
How to Update Your Home’s Lighting
If your home lighting system is obsolete and you are looking for an update that would be both functional and aesthetically pleasing then you have look too far. There are different lighting systems that are currently available in the market to suit your needs. Updating your light system to new one can change the whole decor of your house and give the house a new and fresh feel. However, before choosing any light system it is important to keep in mind the system that would the interior of your house. Lighting engineers these days have come out different lighting specifications for different parts of the house. Here is a quick preview of some of the lighting systems available for different parts of the house.
Recessed lighting can be fitted in the kitchen, bathroom and any part of the house that you want to highlight. If installed in the dining room it will add glamour and dept. For decorative motifs, show pieces and paintings that you want to highlight Track lighting is ideal. It will give the best display.
Cove lighting is best suited for dinning room, family room and theater. This system will give a soothing glow that will enhance the room. You can also update you kitchen central lighting system with a modern light diffuser and a wood trim. This can be custom design and is ideal for the Island type kitchen. You can also add lighting system for the kitchen cabinets and for the counter top. For the staircase and hallway there are lighting apparels known as wall sconces
There are lighting systems available for the front porch of your house. The most commonly installed ones are the flood lights. Flood lights will accentuate the garden and the landscape if they are placed strategically. If your have a long walk ways to your house, then lanterns poll lights of electric or gas can be installed and these can give an illuminating glow to the house.
In addition to all these mechanical electrical fittings, you can enhance the depth and décor of you room by installing windows, ventilation and skylights at some of the strategic parts of the house.
Different Types of Bathroom Light Fixtures Available Now
Ah! The bathroom, our best friend. Every one of us need to go every now and then whether to take a bath or to do our business. It’s what separates us from the animals. Of course the modern men and women expects a little more finesse and design out of their bathrooms. Our bathroom lights are an important feature. You would not want to go into a dark bathroom all by yourself now, would you? And when you have the latest and the greatest light fixtures available in the market in your bathroom, it really classes the joint up, doesn’t it? Nothing says class like having style even in your own bathroom. Now here are some new different types of bathroom light fixtures available right now.
1. Organic Amber Art Glass 29 1/2″ Wide Bronze Bath Light
Elegant and sophisticated. This golden bronze bath light fixture is a sight to behold with its elegant free-form amber art glass which also gives it an organic touch of beauty. Classic scrolling forms creates drama and centerpiece is free-form amber art glass in this traditional bath light. A golden bronze finish with silver finish accent highlights adds richness and nuance to this old world inspired design. Now, wouldn’t this be a beauty in your bathroom.
- 23 3/4″ wide x 4 3/4″ high x extends 5 1/4″ from the wall.
- Takes three 60 watt candelabra bulbs (not included).
- From the Franklin Iron Works brand of bath lights.
- Glasses that are inspired by rustic and industrial style designs: Bronze-gold, hand-blown, vintage-style glass.
- Bronze-gold finish frame and accents.
2. Monocle Wall Sconce
This one eyed beauty provides a strong yet warm beam of LED powered light. Milled aluminum is used to shape this rotating surface mounted fixture resulting in a smooth clean product perfect for any space where warm directional light is needed. You can use it as a wall scone or a celling fixture and optional wall adapter kit is also available. Now this looks like something a king would use.
- Without Adapter: 5.25″D X 4″extension
- With Wall Adapter: 5.25″D X 6″extension
- Materials include aluminum and plastic
- From Rich Brilliant Willing
- An LED lamp
- Blubs: 1 X 8.7W 120V LED module, 2700K, 80 CRI, 700 lumens (included)
Price: $415.00 – $600.00
3. Boxie Ceiling Light
The boxie ceiling light is a clean square pressed glass shade with a polished surface which provides ambient, diffused light. It is available in small or large sizes and in incandescent or fluorescent versions. It is suitable for wet locations and ceiling mount only. However, caulking is required for shower installation. Nice, isn’t it?
- Small: 5.3″Square X 2.2″H
- Large: 9″Square X 2.2″H
- Small / Incandescent : 1 X 40W 120V G9 halogen (included)
- Large / Incandescent: 1 X 40W 120V G9 halogen (included)
- Large / Fluorescent: 2 X 13W 120V or 277V 2GX7 twin tube lamps and electronic ballast (included)
- Made from glass and metal
- LED, Halogen lamp
- From TECH Lighting
Price: $105.00 – $261.80
4. Amber Scroll 35 1/2″ Wide Chandelier
Now she’s a looker. This the product you get when you put beauty and drama together. If you are looking for a bathroom chandelier this is it. This beautiful piece of work features a scrolling frame finished in golden bronze silver finish accent highlights. It is completed wonderfully with amber art glass. Define style with this nine light chandelier.
- 35 1/2″ wide x 35″ high x canopy is 5″ wide, 1″ high x weighs 30.2 lbs.
- Includes 6 feet of chain, 12 feet of lead wire.
- Takes nine maximum 60 watt or equivalent bulbs (not included).
- Large chandelier with two levels of lights from the Franklin Iron Works™ collection.
- 9 lights with amber art glass; golden bronze finish, silver finish accent highlights.
- From the Franklin Iron Works brand of bath lights.
5. Capital Lighting 8494 Steele 32 Inch Wide Bath Vanity Light
Now this is a nice looking vanity light that you want in your bathroom. The Capital Lighting Steele 8494 is a transitional bath vanity light available in Brushed Nickel, Burnished Bronze and Chrome finish. The transitional style is sure to complement any bathroom and make you a hit.
- Lamping:Incandescent: 4 – Medium Base 75 Watt
- Voltage:Line Voltage (120 volts)
- UL Listing:Damp Locations
- Attention:Not suitable for installation in outdoor spaces that are not enclosed.
- Height: 8.00 inches
- Width: 32.00 inches
- Depth: 8.00 inches
- Back plate Dimensions: 5.13 inches
- From Capital lighting
6. Tube Vanity Wall Sconce
The tube vanity wall sconce is sure to look nice in your bathroom. It features a hand blown etched opal glass diffuser. The shade is held by an I-shape glass holder that extends from a rectangular wall plate. Finish available in chrome, brushed nickel, dark restoration bronze and honey gold.
- FINISH: Dark Restoration Bronze
- SHADE COLOR: Etched Opal
- SIZE: 25″H x 4.75″W x 4″D
- DIMMER: Incandescent
- LAMP SOURCE: Halogen
- BULB:2 x T4/D.C. Bayonet (BA15D)/60W/120V Halogen
- From George Kovacs
7. Starburst LED Chandelier
Whoa! Now if you look up unique in the dictionary, you’ll probably find a picture of this.
This kind of design don’t come cheap either. Anyway, the laser cut frosted light guides take decorative LED lighting in a beautiful new direction. With its sparkle and sharp angles, the Starburst LED Chandelier fits into a variety of applications once dominated by incandescent fixtures. This high tech beauty breaks new ground with innovative optical light guides and replaceable LED modules. It was made from created steel construction with stainless steel arms in polished chrome ending. It also includes a 42-inch maximum length adjustable stem kit, and supplementary stems can be purchased to expand that length by up to 8 feet (4 stem sections). Instant on/off; dimmable with TRIAC dimmer (not included).
- 5″D X 19.9″H; Overall height 21.5-57.5″
- Steel, acrylic, polymer are used as materials
- LED lamp
- Bulbs: 24 X 120V G4 bi-pin LED arrays, 28.9 Watts total, 1990 Lumens, 3000K, 80 CRI, 50/60HZ (included)
- From Blackjack Lighting
Price: $2,655.00 – $3,150.00
8. Elf2 Bath Light
The Elf2 Bath Light is a sleek and modern light that combines geometric angles with the round aesthetic of the cylinder shape. It features a luminous opal glass tube by a metallic trim. It can illuminate any bathroom with a diffused, ambient light which makes it ideal for any bathroom by balancing form with functionality. So, give this a go the next time you are looking for a bathroom fixture.
- Wall mount only. Vertical or Horizontal installation.
- Mounts to a 4″ octagonal junction box.
- Available in Satin or Polished Nickel with Opal glass diffuser.
- cUL and UL Listed for Dry and Damp Locations.
- 5″L X 4.8″H X 5.8″extension
- Metal, Glass
- XENON, LED, FLUORESCENT
- 3 X 60W Xenon BA15D Bayonet Base KX60FR/DC (included)
- 2 X 13W 120V or 277V 2G7 Compact Fluorescent Lamps (included)
- 1 X 21W strip LED, 3000K (warm white); 80 CRI; 1800 lumens output (included)
- From Illuminating Experiences Lighting
Price: $290.25 – $468.75
9. Integrity™ Lighted Mirror with Vive™ Technology
The Integrity Lighted Mirror is a stunning addition to any modern bathroom. Just imagine how jealous you neighbor would be if you had this in your bathroom. The mirror features a band of frosted light around the boarder of the backlit mirror that emits a natural light. It features long lasting lamps, natural light temperature, anti-corrosion mirror treatment and energy efficiency. Plus it’s an awesome thing to have in your bathroom.
- LED lighting
- E-Life™ 8 Years Extended Lamp Replacement Cycle
- Natural Light Color
- Hard Coat™ Anti-Corrosion Mirror Treatment
- Environmentally Sustainable
- Energy Efficient
- Proudly Made in The USA
- Patented (US 7,853,414)
- INT4236: 42″ W x 36″ H x 3″ D
- INT4236: 42″ W x 36″ H x 3″ D
- INT4242: 42″ W x 42″ H x 3″ D
- INT5436: 54″ W x 36″ H x 3″ D
- INT7242: 72″ W x 42″ H x 3″ D
- Material: Glass
- Lamp: LED
- INT3642: 50W 120V LED strips (included), 5500 lumens 3000K, 85 CRI
- INT4236: 50W 120V LED strips (included), 5500 lumens 3000K, 85 CRI
- INT4242: 50W 120V LED strips (included), 5500 lumens 3000K, 85 CRI
- INT5436: 50W 120V LED strips (included), 5500 lumens 3000K, 85 CRI
- INT7242: 50W 120V LED strips (included), 5500 lumens 3000K, 85 CRI
- From Electric Mirror
10. Swirl LED Pendant Light
Here’s another jaw dropping design. Just imagine taking a bath under this thing. What could be better, right? The Swirl LED Pendant Light features LEDs placed inside softly curved sculptural arms which turned a classic fixture into a more beautiful version of itself. This pendants luminous forms are created with highly efficient LED strips mounted inside metal stampings that dissipate LED heat. Did I mention it’s an award winning fixture? It won the 2014 lighting for Tomorrow “Honorable Mention” Award Winner
- S7P-SN: 16″D X 13.3″H; Overall height 17.8-53.8″
- M9P-SN: 23″D X 19″H; Overall height 20.6-56.6″
- aluminum, acrylic, polymer, steel
- S7P-SN: 7 X 120V Flexible LED Strips, 23.6 Watts total, 2130 Lumens, 3000K, 80 CRI, 50/60Hz (included)
- M9P-SN: 9 X 120V Flexible LED Strips, 38 Watts total, 3250 Lumens, 3000K, 80 CRI, 50/60Hz (included)
- From Blackjack Lighting
Price: $1,799.10 – $2,499.30