If you want to get rid of the cigarette smoke permanently you will have to do a couple of different things. Aside from the steps mentioned above, here are some of the additional steps.
• Open the entire window to air out of the apartment. Doing this takes awhile, but this is one easy thing you can do.
• Wash your windows, walls, drapes, cabinets, and even in the closet with hot soapy water. Remember that it is important to get rid of cigarette smoke. You have to wash the ceiling because smoke rises.
• However, if you do not want to wash everything, you can paint a lot of it to get rid of the smell although you could be masking the smell depending on how bad it is.
• You can clean the carpet or hire a professional to do it for you. You can also replace your carpet with a new one. The carpet and the padding tend to store the smell of cigarettes so this is very important if you want it gone for good.
• Use a semi-permanent air filter as opposed to the disposable type. This will help filter out small particles that you would not otherwise be able to get.
If you would like to avoid all this unwanted smell after cleaning, do not allow smoking in your house, and do not purchase a house that was occupied by smokers. You can have everything neutralized from whatever odor is left by taking every living thing out of the house and pumping ozone into it for three days.